High Voltage PCB Design TipsGuidelines
When drawing a PCB layout, it is very important to provide suitable clearance between traces and provide enough space between the components, especially in high voltage applications, in order to avoid any electrical arcing and breakdowns.
Before designing the circuit, the designer should become familiar with the following technical terminology:
- Functional insulation -- the insulation only required for circuit operation. It does not imply safety protection.
- Basic insulation
- Supplementary insulation
- Double insulation
- Reinforced insulation
- Creepage distance
The PCB designer should follow safety standards such as UL60950-1(USA) or CSA 22.3 (Canada)
- Bittele’s PCB Design Tips for Ease of Manufacturing and Assembly
- Bittele's Essential Design for Testing (DFT) Tips for PCB Assembly
- 6 Things to Check Before Submitting Your PCB Design for Manufacturing
- Designing a Multilayer PCB Layout
- 6 Steps for Creating an Electronic Design Schematic